The Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition and the Nutritional Sciences Council are pleased to present the 18th Annual Norman Borlaug Lectureship Poster Competition for Graduate and Undergraduate Students.
Submitting a poster
Students are encouraged to enter poster abstracts related to world issues. Submit your poster title and an abstract (250 word limit) by completing the Norman Borlaug Poster Competition submission survey by 5:00 pm, Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019, to be considered for this competition.
NOTE: You cannot save the survey and return to finish it at a later date. Therefore, please have your abstract completed, as well as the answer to this: "In 150 words or less, explain how the research project described in your abstract relates to world food issues," before starting the survey.
To be considered for this competition, your abstract must contain:
- Your name
- Name of faculty mentor(s) and their departments
The following sections should not exceed 250 words total:
- hypothesis and objectives of project;
- methods, results, discussion, conclusion;
- a brief description of the relationship of project to world food issues (1-3 sentences).
Poster judging at the event on Monday, October 14, will consider:
- content and organization including overall content, logical presentation, clarity of expression, punctuation
- quality of presented research or study and relevance to world food issues including techniques and experimental design if appropriate, if topic is current, innovative and provides better understanding
- presentation and explanation of materials and methods
- presentation and explanation of results that are scientifically sound to explain results
- conclusions including soundness, supported by results, concise, precise, adequate and appropriate
- oral presentation skills in discussing your work and the relationship of the project to world food issues with the judges
You may use a poster prepared for another event. Your poster should be able to fit on a board no more than 40" wide and 36" tall. If you need a poster printed, please contact your project mentors.
You will be notified by October 7, 2019, whether or not your poster has been selected for the competition.
Schedule of Events
Monday, October 14, 2019
Great Hall, Memorial Union
Poster set up & judging: 5:45-7:45 p.m.
Poster Display: 7:00-8:00 p.m. during Reception
Lecture: 8:00-9:00 p.m.