Application and admission
Students must apply to the Iowa State University Graduate College using the electronic application form. The department requests additional materials to complete an application packet. View more specific information from major links below.
Students initially approved for admission to our program must secure an assistantship offer from one of our faculty before being officially admitted to our program.
Recommended Deadlines for Submitting Application Materials:
- Spring semester – October 1, domestic students; August 1, international students
- Summer session – November 1
- Fall semester – January 15
Applications are accepted year round.
TOEFL codes: ISU – 6306; FST – 30; NS – 77
The following must be received in order for your application file to be complete for review by the Graduate Admissions Committee:
- Iowa State University Graduate College Application
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members and/or employers. These letters should be requested from individuals who are well acquainted with and prepared to describe in detail the qualifications that would make the applicant a successful graduate student.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Required for non-native English speakers. Minimum requirements: internet-based 79.
Letter of recommendation process: Use the online letter of recommendation process on the Iowa State University application. When you include your recommenders’ names and e-mail addresses on the application form, they will receive instructions on how to submit their letter electronically.